Tuesday 26 April 2011

The Ashby Amulets

Mal Stone texted last night with some news about Guy Martin, he has been evacuated to Malta - which is good news as not only is he safe but he must be making progress too, as they were waiting until he was well enough to move him.

This week has been relatively quiet so far - largely because of the mouldy weather - wet and chill and I have been very busy both in the library and in the studio. Yesterday was a bit of a red letter day. I had a really lovely meeting with Christopher Smith first thing in the morning, Christopher is the Director here, he was incredibly helpful in giving me some very useful pointers for my research and had obviously spent some time beforehand in thinking about my project area - I find this really impressive especially when I know that he is incredibly busy. Everyone who works here is like that too, Valerie Scott who runs the Library is also really helpful and insightful. Valerie told me yesterday about the Ashby amulets which have been knocking around the BSR not doing very much for about 100 years. She thought I might find them interesting, which is a bit of an understatement! She has very kindly allowed me to photograph them. I made a start yesterday and in the top drawer I found this book (you will need to click on each of the images..)



I was amazed to see what was written on the cutting and when I opened the book , this is what I saw..



It was a bit of a hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck moment..

No comments:

Post a Comment