Friday 22 April 2011

Roman Birthday

I didn't post yesterday because of the news of Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros.

I have been worried for Guy Martin who works with us on the BA (Hons) Press & Editorial Photography course at University College Falmouth. Guy was in Libya and was with them. He was one of the photographers who was seriously injured at the same time. Thankfully Guy is safe in hospital now in Misrata, having undergone surgery and will be flown home as soon as he is well enough. I am thinking of him and his family in Cornwall.

Yesterday was the birthday of Rome - 2762 years old, so I made a cake..


It was carrot

I got a bit carried away after my morning on the Palatine, I spent the morning for the first time with the City of Rome Course.


It is run every spring at the BSR and is led by Robert Coates-Stevens who is the Cary Fellow here. Robert is brilliant (I could listen to him all day) so knowledgable he brings everything to life




Peter Fane-Saunders (expert on the history of architecture, chum and cool kitchen person) did an on-site talk about the Septizonium of Septimus Severus - not easy to say....


and not easy to do (as it doesn't exist now) but I was inspired to recreate an extremely minimal version from carrots...


Hmmm, must've been the T-shirt....

No comments:

Post a Comment