Saturday 7 May 2011

Bernini's sculptures & roman hair-do's

George arrived late last night - so lovely to see him! We had a great day, I showed him all my favourite places so far and then spent the afternoon in the Villa Borghese Museum. If you have never been to Rome and are thinking of going, then a visit to this should be near the top of your list. We were completely blown away by the Bernini sculptures. I couldn't take pictures as it is forbidden but here are a couple I found on the web..





A whole lot of Stendahl moments..

Mixed in at the Borghese are ancient Roman sculptures which reminded me of the other really wonderful sculptures I had seen last week at the Vatican Museums. What impressed me was the attention to detail in these pieces and in particular the heads..



Then I started to look a bit closer (around the same time as I was stalking the pilgrims) and got completely taken by this man



And what about Roman hair styles? Get a load of these...




Bad hair day?



Roman twilight zone..



And could this be the site of some female archeologists' disco?



Off to Florence early tomorrow for the Uffizzi and San Marco and on to Monterchi, San Sepulchro and Arezzo for a pilgrimage of our own, to see the Piero's..
Back Tuesday night

No comments:

Post a Comment